Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Mom and Dad

Traveling through the dust-caked, faded,
littered streets,
I know not what lies beyond the bend.
Strange cadences emanating from stranger faces,
unidentifiable smells and sounds
melded with exotic and mundane colors,
dance before me-
a tarantella of frenzied foreign fabric.

Each step I take on this uncharted journey
I dedicate to you.
Though across the sea you command that same chair,
your voice has guided me.

I search through time to
find you both
chasing dreams we shared
on creek banks
and hills filled with butterflies,
melody, and mud.

I reach out for you,
but you are
already here,
Traveling with me.
You are my words, music, thoughts, ideas, and vision.
And so I do face forward
traveling alongside you,
and yet,
missing
you so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the most beautiful poem I have ever read. It really spoke to me. I feel like I have known you for all of your life.

Carly said...

Hmmm...perhaps you have. Thanks for the kind comment and come again!